Sunday, February 27, 2011

Forces of Attraction

In the situation where two Nitroglycerin molecules cam across each other, there would be three forces of attraction: Hydrogen Bonding (as said before), Dipole/Dipole, and London Dispersion Forces

- Hydrogen Bonding is present because Hydrogen is present with Nitrogen as well as Oxygen.

- Dipole/Dipole attraction is present because of the electrostatic attraction between both polar nitroglycerin molecules.

- London Dispersion Forces are present because every molecule has this weak attraction due to the movement of electrons around two atoms.

2 comments:

  1. Max, the general appearance of your blog ad is very organized and easy to follow. Your molecule's lewis structure is accurate and similar to the dash model of nitroglycerin. I can also tell that nitroglycerin is polar due to the fact that it contains solely one line of symmetry. Moreover, I understand that nitroglycerin possesses all three intermolecular forces. Thus, I am convinced that I should purchase nitroglycerin if I am a doctor or someone affiliated with the military.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not think that nitroglycerin contains hydrogen bonds because the hydrogen is bonded to the carbon atoms. I only know this because I did a project on it where I had to research the molecule.

    ReplyDelete